Current Professional Learning Opportunities
Full details and registration links for all sessions listed below can be accessed from our Glow SharePoint site which acts as a portal to our various networks as well as guiding you through a wide range of information and resources too. For support with accessing Glow accounts, please visit https://glowconnect.org.uk/
A number of different platforms are used for session delivery – indicated in the full session details.
To help us develop further opportunities of engagement and professional learning, a short evaluation form will be issued following each session.
The Facts About Child Poverty
- Thursday 18th June, 15.45 – 16.00 (Google Meet) – SPACES AVAILABLE
Almost one quarter of children live in poverty, with this number set to increase due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
This presentation gives you some background information around child poverty, around the views and beliefs that society have and helps us to start to think what we can do in schools to help.
Using Character Strengths to Lead Change
- Thursday 18th June, 15.00 – 16.00
Our leadership context has changed significantly over the past months as a result of the complexities of the Covid-19 situation and will continue to do so in the months and possibly years that lie ahead.
Join Angie Shearer, professional coach and positive psychology practitioner for a webinar, focused on using strengths as middle leaders to navigate these challenging times.
This webinar will include:
- An introduction to the science of Character Strengths and what they are and an overview of the research of strengths.
- Help to identify your strengths and strengths in others.
- Show how we can start to apply a strengths’ focus.
- Show how strengths can be used to cope with stress during adversity/challenges.
NEW! – Primary languages – using digital tools in Glow to enhance and capture learning
- Thursday 11th June, 14.00 – 15.00
This workshop will explore tools in GLOW and Office 365 which can enhance language learning and capture pupil work in Primary. These will include Forms, One Note, Sway, Teams and others.
NEW! – Secondary languages – using digital tools in Glow to enhance and capture learning
- Monday 15th June, 11.00 – 12.00
This workshop will explore tools in GLOW and Office 365 which can enhance language learning and capture pupil work in Secondary. These will include Forms, One Note, Teams and others.
NEW! – Primary & BGE languages – using mobile devices to enhance and capture language learning
- Monday 15th June, 14.00 – 15.00
This Webinar will look creating rich media with mobile applications such as Apple Clips, Puppet Pals and Book Creator to build confidence in learners and help embed language and capture pupil voice.
NEW! – The Trouble with Fractions – EXTRA DATE
- Monday 15th June, 16.00 – 17.15
Fractions continue to cause problems for both learners and teachers, but it is widely accepted that a good understanding of them is vital for learner success in more advanced mathematics. This webinar will examine the 5 interpretations of fractions with a specific focus on the progression from Level 2 to Level 3 and beyond.
NEW! – Primary & BGE languages – using G-Suite to enhance & capture learning
- Wednesday 17th June, 11.00 – 12.00
This workshop will explore tools in G-Suite which can be used to enhance language learning and capture pupil work. There will be a focus on using Google slides and Google sites to create innovative virtual learning environments.
NEW! – Resilient & Resourceful – Wellbeing for Navigating Uncertain Times
- Wednesday 17th June, 14.00 – 15.00
We are delighted to have Organisational Coach Clive Leach join us to explore how we can build, enhance and sustain our wellbeing as educators in these uncertain times.
The webinar promises to provide a positive and pragmatic approach to navigating through Covid-19 and transitioning to life beyond. MORE info on the sharepoint site.
NEW! – The Trouble with Fractions Session 2 – Primary only
- Thursday 18th June, 16.00 – 17.15
This workshop will focus on fractions at Level 2. Through a series of reflective tasks we will explore:
- How to ‘build’ families of equivalent fractions to support a better understanding of multiplicative relationships
- How to assess learner levels of ‘units coordination’ and how this applies in relation to understanding fractions as numbers in their own right
- How to model fraction calculations to improve problem-solving skills
You may sign up for this session even if you were unable to attend the first workshop.
NEW! – The Trouble with Fractions Session 2 – Secondary only
- Thursday 25th June, 16.00 – 17.15
This workshop will focus on fractions at Levels 3/4. Through a series of reflective tasks we will explore:
- How to assess learner levels of ‘units coordination’
- Multiplication and division of fractions by fractions
- How to support the development of proportional reasoning.
NEW! – Conversations in Leadership: Leading a Blended Return
- Monday 22nd June, 15.00 – 16.00
As we continue to navigate the changing educational landscape created by the coronavirus pandemic you are invited to join us at this informal webinar to hear colleagues share their thoughts and plans for the months ahead as schools prepare to reopen in August.
- Anne Paterson, Head of Education in Argyll and Bute
- Louise Moir: Head Teacher at Mackie Academy, Aberdeenshire
- Wendy Bowen: Head Teacher at Papdale Primary, Orkney
- Andy Travis: Lead Specialist, Excellence in Headship, Education Scotland Professional Learning and Leadership team.
NEW! – Emerging Literacy
Highland Council are running Emerging Literacy sessions in June available to colleagues across the Northern Alliance who may be new to or would like a refresher in Emerging Literacy.
There are two dates available for each session. These will be delivered on Google Meet and can be accessed using the link: Emerging Literacy Training Link Please watch the training video ahead of each session.
Session 1 – Emerging Literacy, Training Video
- 9th and 10th June, 13.00 – 14.00
- 16th and 17th June, 13.00 – 14.00
- 23th and 24th June, 13.00 – 14.00
- 30th June and 1st July, 13.00 – 14.00
Professional Learning from the University of Aberdeen
FREE Short Course – Biology: Online STEM Training for Teachers
Enhance your subject knowledge and skills in biology, with this fully-funded CPD course designed for Higher and Advanced Higher biology teachers in Scotland.
The course will help you reflect on your current practice as a teacher, and improve your subject knowledge and skills in biology. It’ll boost your confidence in supporting pupils to apply new biology knowledge in real-world situations, and sparking their interest in project work and experiments.
Glow is accessible to every teacher, practitioner, and every learner, in Scotland. It’s packed with useful tools and networking opportunities and if you don’t know your login details visit https://glowconnect.org.uk/ to get help.
This page will be updated as sessions become available. Please check back for updates.